Start a Business in California
When you’re ready to start a new business, you need to understand your state’s rules, procedures and requirements. Choose the Guide to Starting a Business in your state and get the process started.
When starting a new business, there are many important decisions to be made and many rules and procedures to be followed. While there is no single source for all filing requirements, the following state resources have been developed to assist you in starting your business.
Guide to Starting a Business
Business Registration, Permits and Licenses
Tax Information & Forms
- Sellers Permit – CA Board of Equalization
- California Tax Service Center
- California Franchise Tax Board
Help & Advice
- SBA California The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is an independent agency of the federal government that aids, counsels, assists and protects the interests of small businesses.
- California Chambers of Commerce
- SCORE Glendale - Los Angeles SCORE, a non-profit association that has partnered with the SBA, is known as the "Counselors to America's Small Business," educates entrepreneurs on the formation, growth and success of small businesses nationwide.
- SCORE Merced - Yosemite
- SCORE Monterey - Monterey Bay
- SCORE Oakland - East Bay
- SCORE Oxnard - Ventura
- SCORE Palmdale - Antelope Valley
- SCORE Rancho Cordova - Sacramento
- SCORE San Diego - San Diego
- SCORE San Francisco - San Francisco
- SCORE San Jose - Silicon Valley
- SCORE San Luis Obispo - San Luis Obispo
- SCORE Santa Ana - Orange City
- SCORE Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara
- SCORE Santa Rosa - North Coast
- SCORE Stockton - Stockton
Choose your location
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia