Start a Business in Virginia
When you’re ready to start a new business, you need to understand your state’s rules, procedures and requirements. Choose the Guide to Starting a Business in your state and get the process started.
When starting a new business, there are many important decisions to be made and many rules and procedures to be followed. While there is no single source for all filing requirements, the following state resources have been developed to assist you in starting your business.
Guide to Starting a Business
- Starting a Business
- Virginia Department of Business Assistance - Business Launchpad
- Business Registration Permits and Licenses
- Business Registration
- Virginia State Corporation Commission
- Business Licenses and Permits
- Filing Assumed Business Names
Tax Information & Forms
Help & Advice
- SBA Virginia The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is an independent agency of the federal government that aids, counsels, assists and protects the interests of small businesses.
- Virginia Small Business Development Center The Office of Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) provides management assistance to prospective and current small business owners. SBDC is a cooperative effort of the private sector, the educational community and federal, state and local governments.
- SCORE, a non-profit association that has partnered with the SBA, is known as the "Counselors to America's Small Business," educates entrepreneurs on the formation, growth and success of small businesses nationwide.
- Hampton - Peninsula SCORE
- Lynchburg - Greater Lynchburg SCORE
- Martinsville - Martinsville SCORE
- Norfolk - Hampton Roads SCORE
- Richmond- Richmond SCORE
- Waynesboro - Shenandoah Valley SCORE
- Williamsburg - Williamsburg SCORE