How to Set Up a Photo Studio for eBay Sales
Setting up a permanent photo studio in your workspace can save time and money. A simple set up will allow you to take photos in your workspace.
1. Create the space
Here are the basics for your photo studio (assumes you already have a digital camera):
- At least 4 feet by 4 feet of uninterrupted floor space, including a wall with a power outlet.
- Corner of a white or off-white room (blue or red rooms may add a similar tint to your photos).
2. Assemble the equipment
- A table or a chair to place the items.
- Digital camera
- Back drop – use black or white table cloths, fabric swatches or photo paper ($22)
- Masking tape to secure the backdrops.
- Camera tripod (Slik Tripod with 3 way panhead $15)
- Photo studio lights (250W clamp lights for $25)
- Power strip to plug in the lights ($15)
3. Set up a table with a backdrop
4. Create good lighting
Place your lights at 45 degree angles, on both sides of your subject. Raise one light slightly higher than the other (it doesn’t matter which side). This will eliminate reflections from the lights.
5. Place the tripod in an appropriate position
Place the tripod a few feet away from the table. Use a level surface if possible. Tighten all the locks of the tripod legs. If your surface is uneven, extend one of the legs more to compensate.
6. Secure the camera on the tripod
- For larger items, you can drape the backdrop over a door or just let it fall to the floor.
- Shooting from a camera tripod allows you to keep your shots rock-steady and gives you more freedom in lighting your subjects.