How to Write eBay Titles

There are millions of auctions on eBay, all competing for the buyers’ attention. The single most significant promotional tool at your disposal is the eBay search engine. Over 80% of buyers locate items they wish to purchase by using the eBay search engine. In other words, they type keywords into the search box located on the top of every eBay page and get back listings based on that search. The other 20% of eBay buyers browse through categories to find the items they want.

Since the majority of eBay buyers will find your listing based on the keywords in your listing title, it’s essential to spend the time to create a stand-out title.

1. Make Intelligent Use of Space

eBay allows 55 total characters for the listing title. Be sure to use all the characters or as many characters as possible. Remember that buyers search for items based on keywords. Use words in the title that a buyer would type into a search box to find an item.

2. Include Relevant Information

State exactly what your item is, even if your title repeats the category name. Include your item's brand name, model name or number, artist, designer or other labels bidders will recognize. Think of words bidders might use to search for your item and include relevant terms. Include category-specific grading scales if known. Using the incorrect grade may cause the buyer to return the item or leave you unfavorable feedback. Be careful about using “Mint” or “Excel-lent” as they imply perfection with no flaws of any kind.

3.  Check Out the Competition

Browse similar items' closed auctions to see which titles drew high bids in the past.

4. Use Letter Capitalization to Differentiate

Capitalize the first letter of each word in your title AND all characters of important brand names or keywords (but don’t capitalize all letters of all words—it’s hard to read)

5.  Check Your Spelling

Clever eBay buyers search for misspellings to get bargains. For example, try entering “barbi” instead of “barbie” You’ll see fewer listings and lower prices. So, check your spelling.

6.  Review Examples

Refer to the following examples as you begin to create titles for your listings.

Tips

  • Do not use goofy characters such as "L@@K," "MUST C" and SAVE $$.
  • Do not include Web site addresses, email addresses or phone numbers in your titles.
  • Do not use the word “Used” in your title—it’s not a searched word.
  • Do not use words that may bring into question the legality of the item you’re selling. Example: Words like “prohibited” or “banned” are considered to be misleading because they infer that the item is illegal.
  • Be truthful. If you question the condition or authenticity of an item, do not advertise it as authentic.
  • Profanity and obscene language are not allowed.

Now Hiring in Your Area